Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pipe Down!

There is a reason I say that, and that reason is "punny".  


I was recently in Virginia City, Nevada, on a family vacation. We wanted to see the sights, and one of those was the Piper's Opera House.

Piper's Opera House
Thanks to nevadaday.com for this picture.

Inside, we went to go look around at the actual opera house. It was very nice, until you got to the actual opera house part, in which the ceiling was falling apart,  but that's to be expected in a 130 year-old building, in which a guy salvaged parts from other burned down buildings and old mines. This tour guide, though, was the star of the show. 


He stopped talking maybe three times. They were to listen to my family correct him, ask for our money, and have my mom's alarm go off. In that order. 


Let me explain. 


We walk in, wanting a tour. My dad asks for a tour. We walk upstairs and he explains the several different lives of the opera house, and this is where we mainly correct him on his historical facts. He stops here, to listen. Then we walk into the actual opera house, which is undergoing restoration. There are high school aged children setting up for their "Nevada-Day-Party". We smile and wave, feeling rather uncomfortable in the presence of the talking tour guide. 


He continues to speak of incorrect facts, and we promptly correct him. He then says, "Now I need to collect your fee. The fee for the tour for the family is $10." We all think, "THANK GOD! IT'S OVER!" We fork over the moolah, and he continues to talk. 


At this point, I'm about to melt. He speaks to us about the stage and the balcony seating. I know the answers to almost all of the questions he asks. 


Shortly after this, he leads us to this wall of actors. He asks us who actually came to this opera house and performed. He gave us a hint that two people didn't come, and that we needed to figure out who they were. He lemented on this for maybe fifteen minutes. 


This is the point where my sister is so bored that she starts picking the plastic tablecloth that was set up by the high school. The tour guide was appalled. He didn't stop talking, though. My mom let her continue to pick the tablecloth. 


The tour guide leads us over to the wall where he tells us of this unknown artist who made a couple million dollars in the 1900's. At this point, my feet have started to hurt and I just don't care. 


Then my mom's alarm goes off. The tour guide stops. My dad quickly jumps in and says, "We have an appointment at the RV park! We've gotta go!" My mom's alarm won't turn off. We have to take out the battery and this not only turns off Mom's phone, but turns of his mouth. 


We thank him and quickly walk out the door. We don't start laughing until we are down the hill. We are all in agreement. That was one of the funniest/boring/interesting thing ever. 


Let me describe the man. 




He had a handlebar mustache with the curled edges, cowboy boots, a cowboy hat, and basically the rest of the cowboy attire. This dude was insane. 






But here is some breaking news. 




We have moved into our new house and we are about to close. 


YAY! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;